Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A sweet potato's saga.

Jovi is about 7 months old and I'm feeling pretty good about myself because I am making homemade baby food, which, for me, is a very huge mess.  Who knew that steamed veggies and a blender could be such a cantankerous pair.   Anyhow, I am laboriously peeling a sweet potato over the sink when a family member comes up, peers over my shoulder and softly, yet intimidatingly asked "Is that organic?".  "No...", I stammered.  She takes a step back noting "You know that sweet potato's grow under the ground and whatever poison is put on them seeps through the soil...".  Visions of my little potato before it was unearthed, innocently, yet deceivingly soaking in poison.  After a moment of pondering my nicely peeled potato, I decided I would just eat it myself (anxiety at a 3 on scale of 10, 10 being highest).  Then, I realized that since I was nursing the poisons may still be transfered (anxiety escalating to a 6).  So I guess my husband would have to eat it (5).  It ended up getting thrown out which further intensified the guilt. . . now I was wasteful too (back to a 6).

Yes, I have issues, but at least I know how to rate them.

After this experience if I couldn't swing the high price of organic sweet potato I bought non organic butternut squash due to the shell covering.

Now, I realize that sweet potato's are a member of the "clean 15".   I'm amazed that someone with almost irritating rhyming abilities has made two lists.  Dirty Dozen and Clean 15 (lists below).  I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I am very grateful for this list that makes me feel dirty for feeding my child any dozen of those things.

If you would like to practice rating your anxiety,  check out this website.  This website is a great resource.  It helps you increase your personal neuroticism and become a nervous wreck.  Thank me later.
http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/

If you would like to keep your wits about you and not sound neurotic, like me, then review these lists, do your best, and go on with your life.


Dirty Dozen: Foods to Buy Organic 
1. apples
2. celery
3. strawberries
4. peaches
5. spinach
6. nectarines, imported
7. grapes, imported
8. sweet bell peppers
9. potatoes
10. blueberries, domestic
11. lettuce
12. kale collard greens 

Clean 15: Okay to Buy Non-Organic 
1. onions
2. sweet corn
3. pineapples
4. avocado
5. asparagus
6. sweet peas
7. mangoes
8. eggplant
9. cantaloupe, domestic
10. kiwi
11. cabbage
12. watermelon
13. sweet potatoes
14. grapefruit
15. mushrooms

2 comments:

  1. Love this: 'Yes I have issues. But at least I know how to rate them.'
    I really enjoy your writing- you could write a book.

    Remember that you only have to be a 'good enough' mother. You are already so much more than that- I mean, you are making baby food from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, thanks for posting this list on the 'dirty dozen'. I'll be starting Jona on solids in about a month or so and have begun researching organic vs. non organic foods. I'm so excited to make her baby food!! If you have any advice, please advise :)

    ReplyDelete